Archives—Access to Records

Access to records is governed by JCPS policies and by such statutes as the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) in federal and state forms and in the Kentucky Open Records Act. 

The designated records custodian for JCPS is the Open Records coordinator. Call (502) 485-3583 or visit Open Records for information about open records requests and records subpoenas. 

Students seeking their own JCPS records and employers or educational institutions seeking verifications should consult the Transcripts section of the Data Control office. The phone number is (502) 485-3141. 

People who earned a General Educational Development (GED) certificate in Kentucky should contact the Kentucky Department of Education’s (KDE’s) Adult Education Office at 1-800-928-7323. 

Generally, employees needing information that might be found in archived records should contact the office of origin. That office will check the records it maintains on-site and consult the Archives and Records Center as needed. 

Schools and offices designate records officers and personnel from their staffs who are authorized to request archived records from those schools or offices. The Archives will not release records to people who are not on the authorized list. We will refer those employees to the principal or cost center head to resolve such issues. 

Principals and cost center heads should notify the Archives and Records Center about personnel changes that affect their authorization lists.