We recommend the use of Over-the-Phone Interpreting (OPI) when you need instant access to an interpreter. Support for OPI is available in dozens of languages.
- Access OPI.
- Learn more about OPI.
To access OPI, follow these steps:
- Dial 1-866-874-3972.
- Provide Client ID # 548131.
- Say the language you need.
- Provide Authorization Code: your school/program 7-digit phone number without dashes (Get a list of the authorization codes.)
- Brief the interpreter. (Summarize what you wish to accomplish.)
- The interpreter will assist you in connecting with the call recipient.
- Say "End Call" to the interpreter when your call is completed.
If you have questions, contact JCPS Language Services.
Some of the advantages of OPI are:
- It empowers you to speak any language in a matter of seconds.
- It immediately connects you to trained interpreters of more than 250 languages.
- It allows a direct contact between you and your families.
- There is no need to submit a formal request to LS.
OPI is effective in the following school settings:
- Emergencies, such as an ill or injured student, etc.
- Interpretation when parents visit or call
- Scheduling conferences/meetings
- Reminder calls
- Phone calls
- Meetings when a face-to-face interpreter is not available
Working with an OPI interpreter:
The role of the interpreter is to communicate from source language to target language accurately and completely. Interpreters are not facilitators or advocates.
Tips for working effectively with an OPI interpreter:
- Introduce yourself.
- Brief the interpreter so that he or she has an understanding of what the session entails.
- Speak directly to the student/parent.
- Pause after every one or two sentences.
- Ask if the student/parent understands.
- Do not use acronyms or technical terms.
- Clarify unique vocabulary, and provide examples if they are needed to explain a term.
- To ensure accuracy, your interpreter may sometimes ask for clarification or repetition.