Scope of Responsibilities
Assumes responsibility, under the direction of the principal, for facilitating a school based student-centered program designed to identify students experiencing difficulty in school and to modify students’ specific problems; assists with extracurricular activities; works cooperatively with teachers, parents and community organizations to establish and maintain a positive image of the school and the district; assists with security and safety measures in the school.
- Works cooperatively with teachers, counselors and other administrative staff to identify students who are experiencing difficulty in the school environment.
- Assists with communication between identified students and the home, school, teachers, community groups, and school administrative staff.
- Upon referral from school administrative staff, works cooperatively with appropriate staff and classroom teachers to plan and implement a program designed to assist identified students work out their problems.
- Coordinates curricular and extracurricular activities (before, during and after school hours) designed to assist identified students succeed with personal, social and emotional growth goals.
- Works cooperatively with teachers, administrators, support staff, parents and community organizations/groups to establish and maintain positive public relations and communications in order to build support for the school and its programs.
- Attends meetings of community organizations serving as liaison between the school and such groups for the purpose of discussing and working on mutual needs and concerns including school security and safety measures.
- Collects and maintains record of attendance, grades and number of disciplinary referrals on each identified student as a basis for decision-making and program development.
- Develops and implements attendance incentive activities involving cooperative participation of school staff, community organizations and businesses.
- Establishes and maintains an ongoing program of home contact with parents of identified students and works with parents to increase understanding and constructive participation in the school program.
- Duties may include performance of health services, for which training will be provided.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the principal.
- High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- Record keeping skills
- Good communication skills
- Successful experience working with secondary-age students
- Post high school education/training
- Successful experience working in JCPS dropout prevention programs
- Successful experience working with parents, school staff, and community groups/organizations
The work is performed while standing or walking. It requires the ability to communicate effectively using speech, vision and hearing. The work requires the use of hands for simple grasping and fine manipulations. The work at times requires bending, squatting, crawling, climbing, reaching, with the ability to lift, carry, push or pull light weights.