Learning opportunities provided through effective Professional Learning/Development are essential to develop and broaden the knowledge and skills of teachers and instructional classified employees. The Kentucky Department of Education (KDE) has set forth expectations for quality professional development (PD), identified by learner needs, that must be available in order for all instructional employees to grow professionally. The Professional Learning/Development Office supports teachers in their quest for lifelong learning and growth. The office supports effective PD/learning by:
- Coordinating and facilitating coaching PD sessions for JCPS school-based GCC.
- Coordinating orientation, induction, and mentoring programs to support employee development.
- Focusing on data-driven, results-oriented PD related to content, pedagogical content-knowledge, cultural/climate, assessment, and leadership for individual and school improvement.
- Working with staff, schools, and PD providers to understand and implement federal, state, and locally mandated PD requirements aligned with effectiveness standards, individual growth goals, and school, district, and state goals for student achievement.
- Coordinating the district’s PD proposal and approval process for staff and schools.
- Maintaining a database of PD hours earned by JCPS staff.
- Recording and reporting district compliance information to KDE at the conclusion of each school year.
- Coordinating PD for certified and classified staff on mandated Flexible PD Days.
- Classified staff who work in a noninstructional capacity (custodians, secretaries, clerks, etc.) participate in and receive hours from Job Enhancement Training (JET) hours needs are determined by the job identified cost center head. JET hours are obtained during the employee's work hours.
- Coordinating the Classified Summer Institute.
For information regarding Professional Development/Learning Requirements for Teachers and other related PD topics, refer to the guidelines, instructions, and printable forms listed under Quick Help on pdCentral.