UPDATED March 27, 2020
Dear JCPS Families,
We know it’s been a strange and unprecedented couple of weeks for you, your children and the rest of the JCPS family. We promised we would keep you informed of what’s going on while JCPS schools are closed and we all deal with the COVID-19 pandemic. Here’s the latest:
- All JCPS schools will remain closed at least through April 20th as recommended by Governor Beshear.
- JCPS is opting to use its Non-Traditional Instruction (NTI) days beginning Tuesday, April 7th. That means your child will participate in distance learning via the internet. You will be receiving a number of communications in the next two weeks explaining how that would work. Click here for initial details.
- Many of you have asked for help in accessing your child’s Digital Backpack from your home computers or cell phones. Here’s a video that shows you how. You’ll need to use Google Chrome as a browser. If you are still having trouble connecting, you can contact a JCPS IT specialist for help.
- The JCPS Choice Boards which have supplemental, optional learning activities and exercises for every grade level can be found here. We’re seeing and hearing lots of good stories about the way you and your children are using these to continue learning every day. Other online educational resources are available at Clever.com. Your student can find the additional exercises on this site with their JCPS log-in information. We have those materials available in several different languages:
- Our Emergency Food distribution sites have been a huge success. Beginning Monday, March 31 the schedule for our Emergency Food sites will be reduced to three days per week. Families can pick up free breakfasts and lunches every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. The food sites will also have copies of printed educational materials for students. Here’s the list of the 66 distribution sites and a map of the sites across Jefferson County.
- JCPS counselors have come up with a number of tips to help families cope with the stress of being cooped up at home most of the day.
- All JCPS buildings including the VanHoose Education Building and the Lam Building are closed to the public. This will impact parents and guardians who are trying to register their children in-person. You can register on-line here. Questions? Call 313-HELP from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday- Friday.
We will keep you up-to-date on any further developments as they happen during this unusual time. Thank you for entrusting your child to the hard-working teachers, administrators and staff at JCPS.
We have our March 7, 2020 coronavirus letter and JCPS Pandemic Viral Event Plan available in several different languages.