The revised plan includes hybrid model schedule for elementary, middle, and high school students
March 2, 2021 - Here is more, updated information about our school reopening plans. The Jefferson County Board of Education approved the phased-in reopening of our schools to start on March 17th.
Students who have chosen the JCPS in-person learning option will soon begin returning to our school buildings. We are looking forward to that day!
- The Week 2 schedule for elementary students will continue through the end of the school year.
ALL SCHOOLS WILL USE THE SAME HYBRID MODEL SCHEDULE
- All schools will use the same hybrid model schedule, meaning there will be two days of in-person instruction and three days of virtual learning for students choosing the in-person option.
- For the three days each week that students are learning remotely, they may have recorded lessons from teachers or other assignments through Google Classroom. All students will be learning remotely on Wednesdays as schools will be closed for deep cleaning.
ELEMENTARY SPECIAL EDUCATION (ECE) STUDENTS
- Families with Special Education (ECE) students in elementary school will be able to select either the two-day or the four-day option for their students. All students with an active IEP and any student who is currently in the evaluation process (meaning they have already had an ARC meeting on a referral) will have this option. All ECE students will also have the option for all virtual learning as well.
MIDDLE AND HIGH SCHOOL START DATE
- Beginning April 5th, middle and high school students who choose in-person learning will be on the same Group A/Group B hybrid schedule as elementary school students.
WHAT IF I WANT MY STUDENT TO STAY VIRTUAL?
- You can absolutely do that! Students who choose the virtual learning option will continue online learning five days a week, similar to what they are currently doing with NTI. Click here to read our Virtual Learning FAQ.
Families are encouraged to make their selection to continue learning virtually or switch to in-person instruction on our JCPS website.
Students will be assigned in two groups for in-person instruction. Students with a last name beginning with A-K will be in group A and students with a last name beginning with L-Z will be in group B. We will work with families to ensure all students from a household will attend in-person classes on the same day.
- Grades K-2 elementary school students begin their hybrid learning plan on Wednesday, March 17th.
- Grades 3-5 begin their hybrid learning plan on March 18th.
- Early Childhood begins their hybrid learning plan on March 22nd.
- Middle and high school students begin their hybrid learning plan on April 5th.
Teachers will have time to set up classrooms before students are welcomed back into buildings. Elementary and early childhood teachers would have work days/set up days on March 15 and 16, while middle and high school teachers will have March 25 and 26 to set up rooms.
For complete details on your school’s reopening plan, please click here.
The district will employ additional initiatives to support a return to in-person classes, according to Dr. Pollio:
- Non-school based certified staff will be deployed to schools with high populations of returning students to support teachers and students.
- The district will work with its Family Resource and Youth Services Centers (FRYSCs) to provide thermometers for families who need them, since parents are being asked to check their child’s temperature before they leave home in the morning.
- And JCPS is working to install ventilation devices at certain schools to improve airflow in classrooms.
We’ll have more details about what our reopening plan will look like soon.