District to transport more than 65,000 students every day
August 6, 2021 — Jefferson County Public Schools (JCPS) will have all of its 771 routes covered when buses roll next week for the start of the 2021-22 school year.
JCPS will follow all CDC guidelines for bus ridership, including taking extra steps to make sure that buses are as safe as possible for students:
- All students must remain masked on the bus, unless they have a completed medical waiver on file. Drivers will have masks available if students don’t have one when they board the bus.
- Hand sanitizer will also be available.
- Drivers will clean seats and high-touch areas in between routes.
- Windows will be open when possible.
- Students will be assigned seats, to help with contact tracing in the event there is a positive case reported.
Buses will be at full capacity, with no restrictions on seating per CDC guidelines.
Click here to watch the announcement.
Perkins said the district has implemented numerous initiatives to increase the number of bus drivers, including numerous job fairs, and the board-approved $5,000 stipend and $6 shift differential for this school year.
“Incentives like these have helped JCPS keep most of our experienced drivers and recruit new ones for the upcoming school year,” Perkins said. “We’re also grateful for schools being flexible and collaborating with us to ensure we have every route, for every child who rides a bus, covered as we start the school year.”
In addition, JCPS has programs to help families get specific information on their child’s bus number and bus stop, according to Marcus Dobbs, executive administrator for Transportation Services.
Starting Monday, Aug. 9, parents will be able to dial 485-RIDE to speak with a member of the JCPS team who can provide important information on transportation-related questions.
The hotline will be available throughout the week at the following times:
- Monday, Aug. 9 7 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Tuesday, Aug. 10 7 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Wednesday, Aug. 11 6 a.m.-7 p.m. (or final clear)
- Thursday, Aug. 12 7 a.m.-6 p.m. (or final clear)
- Friday, Aug. 13 7 a.m.-5 p.m. (or final clear)
Families can also check out the JCPS Bus Finder on the district’s website. Parents, guardians or students can enter their home address and school to find their bus number, nearest bus stop, and pickup times
JCPS expects to transport more than 65,000 students twice a day, every day, this school year, which begins Aug. 11.