Focus, vision and commitment to racial equity applauded in Dr. Pollio’s evaluation
“Dr. Marty Pollio has changed the image of Jefferson County Public Schools (JCPS) for the better in rapidly becoming one of the most influential figures in our community and within the Commonwealth of Kentucky,” according to the Jefferson County Board of Education (JCBE) members who released the evaluation of the superintendent. During tonight’s school board meeting, JCBE members shared findings from their 2019-2020 performance evaluation of Dr. Pollio as JCPS Superintendent.
“Dr. Pollio has developed a clear vision for the District,” noted school board members in the evaluation. The evaluation went on to say Dr. Pollio, “deserves accolades for tackling the real revenue and facility challenges faced by JCPS. Under Dr. Pollio’s leadership, JCPS is building more new schools than it has in many years and plans are in place (provided additional revenue is successfully secured) to build and renovate many more.”
The evaluation also recognized Superintendent Pollio’s:
- Leadership and his administration’s response to COVID-19 as “remarkable”;
- Hiring of hundreds of mental health professionals and special education staff to better support students;
- Achievement in engaging local business leaders to be a part of Academies of Louisville, building career pathways for students;
- Opening the Grace James Academy of Excellence and expanding W.E.B. Dubois Academy to include 6th to 12th grades;
- Push for a racial equity policy and plan;
- Efforts to build community partnerships to increase diversity among teachers in JCPS;
- Creation of an employee sponsored scholarship program that awarded more $60,000 in college scholarships to JCPS students;
“I am thankful for the support of our board and the steps we are taking to make JCPS a national model,” said Dr. Pollio. “We are making significant strides towards lasting change that will reshape this District and increase opportunities for all students.”
The board uses the Kentucky School Board Association Superintendent Evaluation procedure, and reviews the performance of the superintendent in seven areas.
Dr. Pollio received a performance rating of exemplary, exceeding the standard, in the areas of strategic leadership, managerial leadership, and influential leadership.
This story was originally published on June 23, 2020.