The first year for primary school or kindergarten for JCPS begins with students who turn age 5 on or before August 1 for the 2020-21 school year. In accordance with KRS 158.031(6), JCPS has established criteria for early entrance into kindergarten, for students who have mastered early childhood benchmarks before age 5. Students who turn 5 years old between August 2 and October 1 will be eligible to enroll provided that the student meets criteria established by the Jefferson County Board of Education. The deadline to submit the Petition for Early Admission to Kindergarten is December 1, 2020. After the December 1, 2020 deadline, there will not be any opportunities to petition the district for Early Admission to Kindergarten for the 2021-2022 school year.
Criteria for Early Admission
- Child must be a resident of Jefferson County, Kentucky; and
- Child must turn 5 between August 2 and October 1 of the admission year; and
- Child must score at or above the 50th percentile on the district approved readiness screener, or an equivalent cut score on other developmentally appropriate measures
Early Admission to Kindergarten Petition Process
- Parents will complete the early admission online application as the initial step for petitioning for early entrance to kindergarten.
- Parents will sign up for one of three screening dates in the online application.
- The student will be assessed by trained JCPS staff.
- Parents will receive email notification of the time and location of the assigned screening approximately one week prior to their assigned screening date. The screening may take place online if circumstances do not allow for the in person screening.
- Early entrance screenings will occur on October 30, 2020, November 20, 2020, and December 9, 2020.
- Petitions will not be accepted after December 1, 2020.
- Parents will be notified of their child’s screening results within two weeks of the screening.
- The decision based on screening results is final. There is no appeal process. If a child does not meet the criteria there will be no opportunities to rescreen or appeal the findings.
Applicants that qualify for early entrance to kindergarten will be referred to the JCPS Student Assignment office. The Student Assignment office will assist the family with completing the registration and application process for kindergarten.
Early Admission Petition: Online Application
Questions may be directed to the Early Admission Team at firstname.lastname@example.org