The first year for Primary school for JCPS begins with students who turn age 5 on or before August 1 for the 2019-20 school year. In accordance with KRS 158.031(6), JCPS has established criteria for early entrance to Primary 1 (P1), also known as kindergarten, for students who have mastered P1 benchmarks before age 5. Students who turn 5 years old between August 2 and October 31 will be eligible to enroll provided that the student meets criteria established by the Jefferson County Board of Education (JCBE). The deadline to submit the petition for Early Entrance to P1 (kindergarten) is April 1, 2019. After the April 1, 2019, deadline, there will not be any opportunities to petition the district for Early Entrance to P1 for the 2019-20 school year.
Criteria for Early Entrance (P1)
- Child must be a resident of Jefferson County, Kentucky; and
- Child must turn 5 between August 2 and October 31 of the admission year; and
- Child must meet the qualifications on the BRIGANCE Screening in the three assessment areas: core assessments, self-help, and social-emotional scales.
Early Entrance to P1 Process
- Parents will complete the online application for Early Entrance to P1. (You will receive email notification of the time and location of the scheduled assessment approximately one week prior to the selected assessment date.)
- Parents will provide a copy of the Skills Checklist to their child's preschool or daycare provider to complete (only for students in preschool or daycare). The completed form can be submitted by fax to (502) 485-6251 or mailed to Student Assignment, Lam Building, 4309 Bishop Lane, Louisville, KY 40218.
- Parents will select an assessment date in the online application.
- The student will be assessed by certified JCPS staff.
- Parents will be notified by Student Assignment about the time of the assessment one week prior to the selected date.
- Recommended screenings occur one day in December, January, and April. The schedule will be adjusted if the volume is high.
- Applications will not be accepted after April 1, 2019.
- Parents will be notified in two weeks of the assessment results.
Please view the information packet to obtain additional information on the Early Entrance to P1 process.
If the completed application is received during the elementary application period, the Student Assignment Office will process the P1 application upon receipt. If the student does not meet the criteria, the application will be withdrawn.
If the completed application is received after the close of the elementary application period, the Student Assignment Office will process the application if the student qualifies for early entrance.
Contact the Office of Student Assignment at (502) 485-6250 for more information.