2023-24 Student Transfer Application Period:
May 1, 2023–March 6, 2024
Steps for Submitting Transfer Applications
All student transfer applications must be submitted online. Please follow these steps:
- Visit the online application website.
- Click on Apply for Schools. (Is your family new to JCPS? If so, you must first complete the online registration for your child and then return to the transfer process.)
- Click on Apply for Student Transfer.
- Click on the green Apply for Student Transfer link that appears.
- If your child is a current student, you'll need a Parent Portal account (with username and password) or your Portal Activation Key.
Parents who don't have a computer with Internet access may call the Office of School Choice at (502) 485-6250. District staff will help you submit a transfer application.
Student transfer applications are reviewed for the following criteria:
As of July 1, 2022 transfers at all levels are considered based on available seats at the schools. There is no additional criteria to be considered.
Important Things to Remember
The following factors are considered during the application review:
- Student transfer approval is not guaranteed.
- Elementary families who move to a new zone should fill out a new Zone Application if they would like a new school placement.
- Do not fill out a Student Transfer Request upon moving.
- The race of an individual student is not used as a factor to grant or deny a student's transfer application.
- Students who receive transfer approvals are not guaranteed transportation.
- The student transfer application may not be used to apply to a magnet school.
- Students approved for a transfer during the summer application period must enroll by the first day of the school year, or the transfer will be voided.
- Once the school year begins, if a transfer application is approved, students must enroll at the school to which the transfer was granted within five school days of the effective date of the transfer, or the transfer will be voided.
- If the school is full at the requested grade level, the student will have the option of filling out a Wait List request.
- Once a student transfer is granted, students may attend the requested school if the transfer has not been revoked by the Office of School Choice. Parents can cancel a transfer by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.