For adults 18 years or older who have withdrawn from school, Jefferson Skills U offers free morning, afternoon, and evening classes available throughout Jefferson County to upgrade skills and prepare for the General Educational Development (GED) test.
Ways to Enroll
- Call (502) 485-3400 to schedule an appointment.
- Walk in to the Student Services Center at Ahrens (546 South First Street, Room 103).
Steps to the GED Credential
- Schedule an appointment to take the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE) Assessment (an assessment that helps staff determine if you are GED-ready or if you need to brush up your skills before taking the GED test).
- If your TABE Assessment determines that you are GED-ready, staff will schedule you for the GED Ready test (a pre-GED test required by the Commonwealth of Kentucky.) The cost of the GED Ready test is covered by vouchers provided by Kentucky Skills U.
- When you pass a section of the GED Ready test, staff will give you information to make your GED test appointment in that subject. Financial aid may be available to help cover a portion of the cost of the test.
- If your TABE Assessment determines that you need some brush-up prior to taking the GED test, you will be scheduled for a class that best suits your needs.
- Retesting is done periodically to determine academic progress and GED readiness.