Learning opportunities provided through effective Professional Development and Learning are essential to develop and broaden the knowledge and skills of teachers and instructional classified employees. The Kentucky Department of Education (KDE) set forth expectations for quality professional development (PD), identified by learner needs, that must be available in order for all educators to grow professionally. Professional Development and Learning supports educators in their quest for lifelong learning and growth. The office supports effective PD learning by:
- Facilitating PD sessions for school-based Academic Instructional Coaches (AIC).
- Coordinating orientation, induction, and mentoring programs to support employee development.
- Focusing on data-driven PD related to content, pedagogy, cultural/climate, assessment, and leadership for individual and school improvement.
- Working with staff, schools, and PD providers to understand and implement federal, state, and locally mandated PD requirements aligned with effectiveness standards; individual growth goals; and school, district, and state goals for student achievement.
- Coordinating the district’s PD proposal and approval process.
- Maintaining a database of PD hours earned.
- Recording and reporting district compliance information to KDE.
- Coordinating PD for certified and classified staff on mandated Flexible PD Days.
For information regarding Professional Development/Learning Requirements for Teachers and other related PD topics, refer to the guidelines, instructions, and printable forms listed under Quick Help on pdCentral.