In celebration of National School Lunch Week and Farm to School Month, the nutrition staff at Slaughter Elementary School dressed like farmers for lunch on Oct. 19 and served eight items that came from local farmers.
By Toni Konz-Tatman | JCPS Communications
In celebration of National School Lunch Week and Farm to School Month, the nutrition staff at Slaughter Elementary School dressed like farmers for lunch on Oct. 19 and served eight items that came from local farmers: (bone-in) chicken, butternut squash, corn on the cob, kale greens, cabbage, sweet peppers, tomatoes and apples. In addition, guests from the U.S. Army, LMPD and the Okolona Fire Department helped serve lunch and ate with students. The effort was led by Tammy Toebbe, who has been the cafeteria manager at Slaughter for four years.
5 Questions With: Tammy Toebbe
Job Title: Cafeteria Manager at Slaughter Elementary School
How long she has worked for JCPS: 17 years
- Where are you from and where did you go to school? I was born and raised in Fern Creek. I went to Fern Creek Elementary, Fern Creek Junior High and Fern Creek High School.
- How did you become involved with JCPS Nutrition Services and which schools have you worked at? It was (and is) a great “mom” job. I have experience working in over 30 schools due to the fact that I was a floater for some time. I have been at Slaughter since 2011-12 and have been the manager since the 2014-15 year.
- What is your favorite part of the job? The opportunity to feed, care for and be a part of the students’ lives. Hopefully they will in turn feed, care for and be a part of someone's life. I love the kids, we get to know them. They are like family to us.
- What is your favorite meal to cook at home and at school? At home, it’s meatloaf in a cupcake pan with mashed potatoes and corn. At school, it’s Beef -A-Roni, greens and potato wedges.
- What are the most popular menu items at Slaughter Elementary? The students do a dance when they like something. They do the pizza dance, the chicken nugget dance, the corn dance and the mashed potato dance. The chicken patties are their favorite!
5 Questions With” is an ongoing series created by the JCPS Communications Department that spotlights our employees. If you know someone in the district who you would like to see featured, please email us.