Waggener High School is diverse and overflowing with unique students from various cultural backgrounds. We honor, embrace, and showcase these differences and international contributions to our school community. Waggener is empowering a new generation of young people who will graduate from high school prepared for college, careers, and the successful futures that await them. We are leading the way in the Academies of Louisville. Along with the Academies at Waggener, we offer the Advance Program, Advanced Placement (AP) classes, Comprehensive Program, and Honors Program to provide students of all academic levels the support to reach the next level. Additionally, we offer a wide variety of related arts, athletic teams and clubs and encourage all students to get involved in our school community.
- Small Learning Community – Small teams of students and teachers offer a personalized learning experience
- Exposure to Career Options – All students take a year-long Career Options course and participate in a variety of College and Industry Experience Trips where they tour the facility, talk with a panel of college students or business professionals, and start to picture life after high school
- Freshman Bridge Program—The two-day Freshman Academy Summer Bridge Program is an orientation program for incoming freshmen that acclimates them to the school building/community, teaches them high school basics, identifies learning needs, and introduces students to the academy teachers.
- Academic Intervention Period (CAT Time)—Works to develop time-management and organization skills while providing academic interventions and character development and facilitates the creation of a digital backpack of success skills
- Mentoring Program—Alumni as well as our college and business partners are matched with students based on needs and/or similar interests. Mentors are paired with their student during CAT Time or before or after school
- Positive Behavior Management Program (HERO)—Students are awarded points and recognized every six weeks for displaying Waggener’s four Pillars of Success (Be Safe, Be Responsible, Be Respectful, Be Prepared). Staff members award points electronically, and students use the HERO app to cash in their points for Wagg Swag at our HERO store
- Model School for Restorative Practices – We utilize a positive behavior management program called HERO where students are rewarded and recognized frequently for displaying Waggener’s Pillars of Success. Our entire staff is trained in Restorative Practices and students are given daily opportunities to participate in circles to foster student voice, conflict resolution and decision making skills