Candidates trained outside of Kentucky will need to provide the following to the Division of Educator Licensure and Quality:
- Complete a state-approved teacher preparation program at a regionally accredited educator preparation institution or a state-approved alternative training program. In addition, candidates must comply with the state ancillary requirements such as grade point average (GPA), testing, and internship.
- Testing requirements will be waived for out-of-state applicants who hold a valid certificate and have completed two years of teaching in the subject area and grade level on their certificate.
- All out-of-state applicants must:
- Request and complete a CA 1 application (Application for Kentucky Certification).
- Forward this application to their college for the completion of Section IV on page 5 of the CA-1 application. There is also a CA 35 application (Request for a six-month temporary certificate). This option is only available if there are no qualified applicants available (who already hold an active Kentucky Teaching Certificate). This option would give you time to complete the required Praxis exams if needed.
- Submit passing Praxis II Specialty Area test scores for each area of certification and the Principles of Learning and Teaching test score for the appropriate grade range (only required IF less than two years of appropriate full-time teaching experience).
- Have Section II completed by their superintendent, if they have out-of-state teaching experience.
- Submit a copy of their out-of-state teaching certificate.
- Have official transcripts of all college and graduate coursework sent to:
Division of Educator Licensure and Quality
300 Sower Blvd., 5th Floor
Frankfort, KY 40601
Jefferson County Public Schools “Contract Ready” Checklist: