The unit investigates felonies committed on school property, including the following:
- Assaults with weapons or dangerous instruments
- Assaults resulting in serious physical injury and the victim being hospitalized
- Assaults on school staff and faculty
- Thefts of money or property over $500
- Bomb threats
- Selling/Distributing drugs/narcotics
- Death threats
- Possession of illegal drugs/narcotics
- Fraud and white collar crime (over $500)
- Possession of deadly weapons
- Child pornography
The unit provides physical security for the school district and participates in crime prevention activities for local schools:
- Conducts security assessments and crime prevention surveys
- Offers crime prevention suggestions by reviewing the environmental design of school buildings
- Assesses threats
The unit provides disaster relief. It also conducts critical incident investigations, such as some accidental injuries or deaths of employees and students.
It serves as a liaison with local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies to investigate the following:
Incidents of death, sexual abuse, rape, and sodomy occurring on school property
Child sexual exploitation
Reports of kidnapping and missing persons
Suspected terrorist activities
If you suspect that any of the above-listed crimes are occurring in your building or on the school campus, follow these two simple steps:
- First, call 911 for the local police if the crime is in progress.
- Second, call the Security and Investigations Unit at (502) 485-3121, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
For crimes that occurred at some time in the past, the principal, building manager, or his or her representative should call the Security and Investigations Unit at (502) 485-3111 between 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., or at (502) 485-3121.