Advantages of Over-the-Phone Interpreting (OPI)
- It empowers you to speak any language in a matter of seconds.
- It immediately connects you to trained interpreters of more than 250 languages.
- It allows a direct contact between you and your families.
- There is no need to submit a formal request to Language Services.
OPI is Effective in the Following School Settings
- For quick interactions with students and families (less than 30 minutes)
- Emergencies, such as an ill or injured student, etc.
- Interpretation when parents visit or call
- Scheduling conferences/meetings
- Reminder calls
- Phone calls
- Meetings when a face-to-face interpreter is not available
Working With an OPI Interpreter
The role of the interpreter is to communicate from source language to target language accurately and completely. Interpreters are not facilitators or advocates.
Tips for Working Effectively With an OPI Interpreter
- Introduce yourself.
- Brief the interpreter so that he or she has an understanding of what the session entails.
- Speak directly to the student/parent.
- Pause after every one or two sentences.
- Ask if the student/parent understands.
- Do not use acronyms or technical terms.
- Clarify unique vocabulary, and provide examples if they are needed to explain a term.
- To ensure accuracy, your interpreter may sometimes ask for clarification or repetition.