The Academy @ Shawnee has a rich history. It was constructed in 1927 to serve the students and families of West Louisville. JCPS has invested more than $41 million into renovations to transform our historic flagship school into a model 21st-century learning environment. Shawnee has the distinction of being the only school in the United States that offers the Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR) Private Pilot License course. Long respected for our Aviation Program, Shawnee joined the Academies of Louisville Program to provide students with additional learning opportunities in Health and Human Services, Interactive Media, and Aircraft Maintenance. The Freshman Academy, a 3DE Model School, will support the Academies by providing students with authentic and relevant learning experiences that are interdisciplinary and project-based. Along with our Academies, we offer Honors and Advance Program classes as well as opportunities to engage students in music and visual
art. Shawnee offers a variety of exciting opportunities to prepare and empower students for success. Our students will engage in authentic learning experiences that enhance our positive school culture and community. Follow us on social media: @ShawneeAcademy and #SOAR with us!
- Engage in team-based activities, develop your leadership skills, identify and grow your strengths, and learn 21st-century essential skills through hands-on, project-based learning.
- All freshmen participate in a Freshman Academy PBL designed to encourage student success. During this PBL, students will have opportunities to explore career pathways and receive guidance for their secondary and postsecondary planning.
- Shawnee offers an ever-expanding list of dual-credit courses.
- Shawnee is the only school in JCPS to offer a Flight and Aeronautics career
- pathway where students can gain the technical knowledge and skills of aviation. Students will have the opportunity to take the private pilot written exam and receive flight hours toward their private pilot’s license.
- During the 2021-22 school year, Shawnee will be implementing the 3DE Model. 3DE uses a case methodology approach to redesign student experiences to increase student engagement, comprehension, and performance. 3DE will support the Academies of Louisville model to deliver authentic and relevant learning experiences that are interdisciplinary and project-based.