The Academy @ Shawnee, which was constructed in 1927 to serve West Louisville families, has invested more than $41 million into renovations to transform our historic flagship school into a model 21st-century learning environment. Shawnee has the distinction of being the only JCPS school offering the Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR) Private Pilot License course, where students can gain the technical knowledge and skills of aviation.
Long respected for our Aviation Program, Shawnee joined the Academies of Louisville Program to provide students with additional learning opportunities in health and human services, automation engineering, graphic design, and aircraft maintenance. The Freshman Academy, a 3DE Model School, supports the Academies by providing students with authentic and relevant interdisciplinary and Project-Based Learning (PBL) experiences.
Along with our Academies, we offer Honors, dual-credit, and Advance Program classes as well as opportunities to engage students in music and visual art. Shawnee offers a variety of exciting opportunities to prepare and empower students for success. Our students will engage in authentic learning experiences that enhance our positive school culture and community. Follow us on social media: @ShawneeAcademy and #SOAR with us!
- Leadership and teamwork skills developed through hands-on PBL that identifies and cultivates student strengths
- Career exploration for all freshmen to discover career pathways and receive secondary and postsecondary planning guidance
- Expanding list of dual-credit courses
- Flight and Aeronautics Pathway
- Opportunity for students to take a private pilot written exam and receive flight hours needed for their private pilot’s license
- Home to Kentucky’s only flight simulator on a school campus
- 3DE by Junior Achievement
- Interdisciplinary PBL experiences to increase student engagement, comprehension, and performance
- Management and Entrepreneurship