J. B. Atkinson Academy provides all students with a quality education based on world-class academic standards, high expectations for achievement, and a respect for diversity and community. We are committed to lifelong learning, physical/emotional wellness, and preparing all students to be college- and career-ready by educating the whole child while supporting families and the community.
- Recognized as a Leader in Me (LiM) Lighthouse School, which teaches 21st-century leadership and life skills to students and creates a culture of student empowerment based on the idea that every child can be a leader. LiM teaches students, staff, and families about the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People based on the popular text written by Dr. Stephen Covey.
- Offers the Reach program, which provides technology-based learning as well as opportunities for students and their families to receive a range of services, including on-site physical and mental health services, family education workshops, and extended after-school learning opportunities for students
- Offers the districtwide Academy for Excellence in Teaching and Learning Program in cooperation with the University of Louisville (UofL) as a Signature Partnership School
- Maintains a strong connection with state standards utilizing culturally diverse and real-life contexts
- Strong partnerships within the community provide resources and opportunities to students, families, and staff.
- Offers a range of student activities, including basketball, student leadership team, cheerleading, band, step team, orchestra, Governor’s Cup and Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts, and Mathematics (STEAM) Lab