Western High School is the only JCPS high school to be a full Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Magnet, offering the following programs of study:
- Digital Design and Game Development: Courses in this program will prepare students with the necessary skills and techniques for designing advanced 3D games and simulations. The courses will provide in-depth instruction on 2D and 3D graphics, animation, character development, texturing, scripting, program design, and coding. Available certifications will include Java, Python, 3D Visualization, and Animation as well as Unity Programmer and Artist.
- Computer Programming: The Computer Science Program will prepare students to design and create applications as well as provide exposure to the latest programming languages in the industry. Instruction will cover the principles of Computational Science, Computer Development, and Computer Programming. Certifications will be offered for Python, Java Script, Swift App Development, and Adobe.
- Culinary Food Science: The Food Innovation and Technology Program challenges students to develop skills in many aspects of the culinary sciences. Research and technical expertise involving data collection and digital technology will enhance the student experience within the food service industry. Industry certifications will be offered in ServSafe and ProStart.
- Data Science: Students will apply Microsoft software to acquire, collect, store, and communicate data in meaningful ways for potential customers. Students will apply literacy, mathematics, and science concepts using technology to solve real-world problems. Industry certifications will include Oracle Databases, Microsoft Azure Data Science Associate, and AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner.
- Emphasis on students earning dual credit
- Full immersion into the STEM curriculum during students’ first year on campus
- One-of-a-kind Digital Design and Game Development Center featuring a state-of-the-art Esports Competition Gaming arena