JCPS provides a full continuum of services for students with disabilities, including the following:
- Special education services in a full-time regular education classroom (co-teaching)
- Special education services in both a regular education classroom and a special education classroom (resource class)
- Special education services in a full-time special education classroom (special class)
- Special education services in a special school setting
All JCPS schools provide resource services for students with learning, behavior, or mild mental disabilities. Special class services are provided for students with learning, behavior, or mild mental disabilities at all comprehensive middle and high schools.
Placement of these students is based on the JCPS student assignment plan. If a school does not have a specific placement option necessary for the implementation of a student’s Individual Education Program (IEP), the ECE Placement Office will determine the placement based on such factors as age appropriateness and geographic area.
Special Education Program Locations
- Emotional-Behavioral Disability (EBD) K–5 Special Class
- Deaf and Hard of Hearing (HI)
- Moderate and Severe Disabilities (MSD) Special Class
- Orthopedic Impairment and Other Health Impairment (OI/OHI) Special Class
- Learning Disability/Mild Mental Disability (LBD/MMD) Special Class
- Visual Impairment (VI)