Advantages of Video Remote Interpreting (VRI)
- On-demand connection to virtual interpreters
- Ensures immediate communication access
- Allows for reading body language and facial expressions
- Affordability—We pay only for the interpretation minutes used.
Video Remote Interpreting (VRI) Is Effective in Following School Settings
- Interpretation session for which an on-site interpreter is not available
- Interpretation session for which it is preferable not to involve a local interpreter in a private matter
- Interpretation session that is up to 30 minutes in duration and not complex
- Immediate situations that require capturing visual cues
Working With a VRI Interpreter
- The role of the interpreter is to communicate from source language to target language accurately and completely. Interpreters are not facilitators or advocates.
Tips for Working Effectively With a VRI
- Plan accordingly. Meetings will take longer when using an interpreter.
- Introduce yourself.
- Brief the interpreter so that he or she has an understanding of what the session entails.
- Speak directly to the student/parent.
- Pause after every one or two sentences.
- Ask if the student/parent understands.
- Do not use acronyms or technical terms.
- Clarify unique vocabulary, and provide examples if they are needed to explain a term.
- To ensure accuracy, your interpreter may sometimes ask for clarification or repetition.