Southern High School’s mission is to use a collaborative process focused on learning, ensuring that all students develop 21st-century skills so that they will be college- and career-ready.
Southern High School’s mission is to use a collaborative process focused on learning, ensuring that all students develop 21stcentury skills so that they will be college and career-ready. Southern is leading the way in the Academies of Louisville initiative. We are student-focused, knowing that teaching only occurs if all students learn. Students can expect to be given the opportunity to become successful in whatever area they choose. They can expect their teachers to use a collaborative effort, while being firm, fair, and consistent.
Southern has a community feel and is quickly becoming known for its innovation and concern for all students. Students and teachers alike are gaining recognition for their work on the state and national level.
- Four Academies and 13 Advanced Placement (AP) courses
- Automotive Maintenance and Light Repair Pathway
- Only school to offer this pathway in JCPS
- Gain hands-on training while working in onsite Automotive Repair Shop
- Learn to safely operate equipment
- Graduate with industry certifications and prepared to begin a career in the automotive industry
- iGen Academy
- Gain financial literacy while working at a fully operational Class Act Federal Credit Union branch on the school’s campus (paid summer training program required for this opportunity)
- Many students begin fulltime careers with Class Act after graduating from the program