What is student assignment?
JCPS offers a student-assignment system that meets the unique needs of our community. The system lets you apply to various schools based on your home address.
How to Explore JCPS School Choice Options
The district offers a variety of options to meet students' individual needs. We are proud that each school and program has unique strengths and that each is designed for particular interests and talents. Many parents consider several different factors in choosing a school. They make decisions based on the family’s needs and what they feel is a good fit for their child.
Be sure to explore your school choice options to determine which is the best fit for your family.
Ways to Explore JCPS Schools
- School Finder
- School webpages
- Elementary, Middle, and High Showcase of Schools (October 28, 2017, located at the Kentucky Exposition Center)
- School tours and parent nights
- Enrollment guides: Check out the 2018-19 Choices brochures for elementary, middle, and high schools.
Get Involved in School Choice
JCPS annually offers an application period in which students can apply to schools and magnet and optional programs for the next school year:
- The elementary, middle, and high school application period for the 2018-19 school year begins on October 30, 2017, and ends on December 15, 2017. Apply here.
Applications are not processed on a first-come, first-served basis. They all are processed at the same time at the end of the periods. Applications submitted after the deadline will be processed based on building capacity and admission criteria (if required for optional and magnet programs).
Parent Assistance Center
The JCPS Parent Assistance Center works with families to help students apply to schools and to resolve student-assignment issues. Call the center at (502) 485-6250 if you have questions about any of the following:
- The school that serves your child’s home address
- Kindergarten registration
- Magnet schools and programs
- Optional programs
- Student transfers
- Elementary school clusters
JCPS works to ensure that families who are moving into Jefferson County have information on what school choice options are available and the registration and application process. Please contact the Parent Assistance Center at (502) 485-6250 for more information.
Student Assignment Advisory Review Committee Meeting 10/26/17