- Magnet programs have a specific theme and focus or provide a specialized learning environment. Students who are accepted into a magnet program become a full-time student of the school that offers it and attend the school for all classes. Some magnet programs accept applications from students throughout the district. Others accept applications from only specific areas. JCPS provides transportation for most students who are accepted into a magnet program.
- Magnet schools offer unique, schoolwide curricula. Many magnet schools accept applications from students throughout the district, and JCPS provides transportation for most students who are accepted.
You may register and apply to schools and programs here. The application period for the 2024-25 school year begins on November 6, 2023, and ends on December 22, 2023. Applications that are received after the application period ends remain in the late file unless schools still have available space for students.
The JCPS Office of School Choice provides information on specialized schools and programs at all grade levels. Staff members answer questions about the programs and about application procedures and individual school guidelines. The office also:
- Hosts information sessions for schools, students, and families.
- Organizes the annual Showcase of Schools, where families can gather information and meet school representatives.
- Hosts professional-development (PD) sessions to inform school employees about procedures and policy issues so the staff members can help parents.
- Develops and distributes the district guide to schools, Choices. Check out the Choices brochures for elementary, middle, and high schools.
The Magnet Schools of America organization has reviewed 59 JCPS magnet schools and programs. Read the Magnet Schools of America report.