Welcome to The Academies of Louisville
The Academies of Louisville prepare, inspire, and empower students by offering meaningful and relevant learning experiences that directly relate to our world today.
By connecting high schools to business and community partners, the Academy model aligns education and workforce development needs to better prepare students for postsecondary and career success. Beyond graduating ready to compete in an ever-changing 21st-century economy, Academy students develop the essential skills they need to succeed throughout college, careers, and life.
Our Academy model is based on the framework of Ford Next Generation Learning (NGL), which enables communities to create and execute a sustainable, long-term plan for evolving education. Ford NGL communities benefit from the following outcomes:
- Increased high school graduation rates
- Increased academic achievement
- Improved preparation for college, careers, and life with an increased number of students graduating from high school with industry certifications and college credits
- Increased earning potential
- Increased talent pipeline
- Greater community prosperity
What are Academies?
Academies are small learning communities focused on the careers and industries that strengthen our local economy. Eleven JCPS high schools have adopted the Academy model to offer students a new approach to education—one that directly relates to the world today. Project-Based Learning (PBL) and hands-on activities are at the heart of our Academies, offering students a more authentic and experiential education.
By identifying their own areas of interests and pathways to success, Academy students are able to zoom in on their personal goals and career aspirations. Academies also provide students with a more individualized education that’s tailored to their own unique passions and skill sets.
Personalized learning environments, coupled with the support of a dedicated team of teachers who truly know and advocate for our Academy students, create a powerful educational experience that’s unique to the Academies of Louisville.
Additionally, Academies of Louisville high schools offer students the following:
- Industry and college field trip
- Job shadowing experience
- Junior-and Senior-Year summer jobs through SummerWorks, Apprenticeship, or Co-op
- Ability to earn college credits and an industry credential
- Postsecondary transition plan
Why do we need this?
For years, students have asked the question “Why am I learning this?” The Academy model answers that question by connecting education today to the needs and expectations of our world tomorrow. By linking education to local businesses and organizations, Academies allow students to experience industry and careers firsthand—and, ultimately, get a head start on their future.
And with the rapid evolution of technology and innovation, it’s more crucial than ever that students develop the skills and experience required to keep up with our ever-changing global economy. The Academy model is an essential next step in the revitalization of public high school education—a step that not only leads to outstanding student outcomes but also is an investment in the future of our city.
By uniting JCPS high schools, students, families, educators, businesses, and community partners, the Academies of Louisville aim to build a strong local workforce while ensuring that students graduate from high school career-ready, college-ready, and future-ready.
Academy students benefit from the following:
- Direct career and industry exposure
- More personalized education
- Rigorous, hands-on learning
- Development of 21st-century essential skills, like creativity, leadership, problem solving, critical thinking, and determination
- Community involvement
- Networking opportunities with local industry professionals
- Academic and technical knowledge and skills mastery
- Graduating with college credits, work ethic certification, industry certification, and internship experience
- Seamless transition to postsecondary
There are 11 high schools that have begun implementing the Academy model in the 2017-18 school year. Implementation will take three to four years for each high school.
- Academy @ Shawnee
- Marion C. Moore School
- Pleasure Ridge Park (PRP)
Business and Community Partners
The Academies of Louisville are made possible through strategic business and community partnerships, which facilitate the real-world experiences and opportunities that are crucial to our students. The following businesses are the first to join our mission to strengthen economic development, bridge the skills gap, and create a brighter future for all of Louisville.
- Building Industry Association of Greater Louisville (Western)
- Class Act Federal Credit Union (Southern)
- GE Appliances (Doss)
- Kentucky Kingdom (Marion C. Moore)
- Lantech (Jeffersontown)
- Masonic Homes of Kentucky (Seneca)
- New West Agency (Ballard)
- Norton Healthcare (PRP)
- Oxmoor Auto Group (Southern)
- Paradise Tomato Kitchen (Valley)
- Trilogy Health Services (Waggener)
- UAW (Jeffersontown)
- UPS (Shawnee)
If you or your business would like to learn more or get involved, please fill out our contact form today.