Family Resource and Youth Services Centers (FRYSCs) help JCPS families solve problems and overcome barriers to learning. Family Resource Centers (FRCs) serve elementary schools. Youth Services Centers (YSCs) serve middle and high schools. Overall, JCPS has 115 coordinators serving 115 centers in 145 schools. Each offers its own blend of programs and services, but all of them provide support in core areas.
State-Mandated Core Components for FRCs
- Full-time childcare for 2- and 3-year-olds
- After-school childcare for 4- through 12-year-olds. Full-time childcare is available during the summer and on other days when school is not in session.
- The Families in Training Program, which includes an integrated approach to home visits, group meetings, and monitoring of child development for new and expectant parents
- Family literacy services or similar programs designed to promote lifelong learning and give parents and children the chance to learn together
- Health services and/or referrals to health services
State-Mandated Core Components for YSCs
- Referrals to health and social services
- Career exploration and development
- Summer and part-time job development for high school students
- Substance abuse education and counseling
- Family crisis and mental health counseling
The overall mission of the statewide FRYSC Program, established by the Kentucky Education Reform Act (KERA) of 1990, is to enhance students’ abilities to succeed in school by promoting early learning, successful transition into school, academic achievement, well-being, graduation, and successful transition into adult life. Each center receives guidance from a community advisory council.
To access the FRYSC Advisory Council Meeting dates, please click on the calendar icon above. You can search for Family Resource Youth Services in the "Events" drop-down box on that page.
For a complete list of centers in Jefferson County, please refer to the List of Centers link in the left sidebar.
Dr. Gwen Goffner
VanHoose Education Center
3332 Newburg Road
P.O. Box 34020
Louisville, KY 40232-4020
Telephone: (502) 485-3703
State Region 3
Naela Imanyara, Regional Program Manager, Region 3A
Andrea Pike-Goff, Regional Program Manager, Region 3B
Cabinet for Health and Family Services
Division of FRYSC
275 East Main Street, 3C-G
Frankfort, KY 40621
Telephone: (502) 564-4986