How to Apply
- You can apply to Early Childhood Programs online and upload required documents, or if you cannot apply online, you can schedule a phone application with a member of the Early Childhood Student Assignment team. For more information or to schedule a phone application, call (502) 485-7677.
What You Will Need for the Application Process
At the time of application, you'll need all of the documents listed below. Partial applications cannot be submitted. Program staff will verify all of the required documents and may request additional documentation needed to determine eligibility.
- Proof of income—All household income for the past 12 months is required for all income-based programs. You may use any of the following items:
- Most recent tax return
- Paycheck stubs documenting income for the past 12 months
- An unemployment benefits statement
- Child support for all children
The following are not accepted as proof of income: food stamp and Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) letters.
- Proof of residence—This is required for everyone. You may use any of the following items that shows the parent/guardian address and name:
- Gas/Electric bill (within past three months)
- Water bill (within past three months)
- House contract
- Paycheck or paycheck stub
- Social Security or other government check
The following are not accepted as proof of residence: driver's license, photo ID, or personal check.
- Proof of child's age and birth—This may include:
- Official state-issued birth certificate, or
- Federal travel document, such as I-94
Any other proof of birth documentation must be state-approved and must be accompanied by a signed affidavit.
- Other documents—You may be asked to provide additional documentation to meet federal or state requirements. For example, you may be asked to show:
- Custodial papers (if applicable)
- Your picture ID
- Current immunization certificate
Children do not have to be present for the application process.
- Early Childhood is not a compulsory program and has limited space for children.
- JCPS Early Childhood only serves children who reside in Jefferson County, Kentucky, with a legal custodial parent/guardian.
- Program eligibility is based on income or disabilities.
- Early Childhood is not located in every school; therefore, the program determines placement based on transportation address and other factors.
- Applications are taken year-round, and children are placed throughout the year.
To learn more, call (502) 485-7677.