How to Apply
- Online—Parents or legal guardians may complete an application for Early Childhood online.
- In person—Applications are also taken on-site at the Early Childhood Application Center, 701 South Hancock Street, in the Ernest "Camp" Edwards Education Complex.
- Applications are taken throughout the year. Review the calendar of dates and times you can apply.
- Please note that on days when school is canceled, such as for bad weather, our office will be closed and applications will not be taken.
- Priority is given to early applications and 4-year-olds.
What You Will Need for the Application Process
At the time of application, you'll need all of the documents listed below. Partial applications cannot be submitted. Program staff will verify all of the required documents and may request additional documentation needed to determine eligibility.
- Proof of income—All household income for the past 12 months is required for all income-based programs. You may use any of the following items:
- Most recent tax return
- Paycheck stubs documenting income for the past 12 months
- An unemployment benefits statement
- Child support for all children
The following are not accepted as proof of income: food stamp and Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) letters.
- Proof of residence—This is required for everyone. You may use any of the following items that shows the parent/guardian address and name:
- Gas/Electric bill (within past three months)
- Water bill (within past three months)
- House contract
- Paycheck or paycheck stub
- Social Security or other government check
The following are not accepted as proof of residence: driver's license, photo ID, personal check, or Kentucky Transitional Assistance Program (K-TAP) documents.
- Proof of child's age and birth—This may include:
- Official state-issued birth certificate, or
- Federal travel document, such as I-94
Any other proof of birth documentation must be state-approved and must be accompanied by a signed affidavit.
- Other documents—You may be asked to provide additional documentation to meet federal or state requirements. For example, you may be asked to show:
- Custodial papers (if applicable).
- Proof of employment or enrollment in an educational/training program (for Early Head Start only).
- Your picture ID.
Children do not have to be present for the application process.
- Early Childhood is not a mandatory program and has limited space for children.
- JCPS Early Childhood only serves children who reside in Jefferson County, Kentucky, with a legal custodial parent/guardian.
- All of the programs are income-based, except for Tuition-Based Preschool and preschool for children with disabilities.
- Children are placed in programs according to income, available space, and the program's ability to transport the child.
- Placement is not guaranteed for every applicant.
- Early Childhood is not located in every school; therefore, the program selects placement.
- Applications are taken year-round, and children are placed throughout the year as space becomes available.
To learn more, call (502) 485-7677.