Student Transfers

Application Period

2021-22 Student Transfer Application Period:
May 3, 2021–March 25, 2022

2022-23 Student Transfer Application Period:

May 2, 2022–March 24, 2023

Steps for Submitting Transfer Applications

All student transfer applications must be submitted online. Please follow these steps:

  1. Visit the online application website.
  2. Click on Apply for Schools. (Is your family new to JCPS? If so, you must first complete the online registration for your child and then return to the transfer process.)
  3. Click on Apply for Student Transfer.
  4. Click on the green Apply for Student Transfer link that appears.
    • If your child is a current student, you'll need a Parent Portal account (with username and password) or your Portal Activation Key.

Parents who don't have a computer with Internet access may call Student Assignment at (502) 485-6250. District staff will help you submit a transfer application.

Student transfer applications are reviewed for the following criteria:

  • Elementary: There is no criteria to have a transfer considered.
  • Middle: Students must be passing all core classes and have no suspensions during the current or previous school year.
  • High: Students must have a grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0, an attendance rate of at least 90 percent, and no suspensions during the current or previous school year.

Important Things to Remember

The following factors are considered during the application review:

  • Space
  • Student needs
  • Academic, attendance, and disciplinary records
  • Childcare issues
  • Extenuating circumstances
  • School assignment of the student's siblings

Student transfer approval is not guaranteed and takes 15 to 20 business days to process. The race of an individual student is not used as a factor to grant or deny a student's transfer application.

Students who receive transfer approvals are not guaranteed transportation. They may attend the requested school as long as the transfer has not been revoked by the Office of Student Services. Parents can cancel a transfer by completing the Request to Void Student Transfer Form and submitting it to the Office of Student Services.

Requesting a Student Transfer If You Are Coming From Another County or State

If your child is applying for a student transfer and they were previously enrolled in another county or state, you will need to submit the following documents for middle and high school applications:

  • Most recent report card or transcript
  • Current attendance record
  • A statement from an administrator from the previous school stating that there have been no suspensions during the current or previous school year

These documents can be submitted to the Office of Student Assignment (4309 Bishop Lane, Louisville, KY 40218) or by email to